A few proactive practical tips to help ease a cough
- Home made cough mixture to ease a tickly throat.
- Lemon & honey. Squeeze juice of half a lemon into a cup of WARM (not hot) water. Add teaspoon of honey (ideally manuka or raw honey). Sip as needed.
- Elderberry syrup or throat spray is also very soothing.
- Thyme tea.
- Pour half a pint of boiling water over a large teaspoon of leaves and flower tops. Infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain and add honey to taste
- Avoid dairy where possible. Dairy foods are mucus producing and make congestion much worse.
- Lying, sleeping flat can make congestion on the chest much worse. If you can prop yourself up with pillows at the rest angle for you to be comfy.
- Steam can help dry tickly coughs. Try a hot shower, or simply a bowl of hot water placed close to where you are sitting and inhale gently.
- High dose vitamin C and zinc can support your immune system. Take vitamin c to “bowel tolerance” – lose stools. Take a look at Cytoplan supplements
- And rest…..Your body needs to focus on recovering. Sleep and relaxation are when our body is in repair and recover mode.
Don’t ignore a cough. Coughing is the body’s natural behaviour for eliminating an irritant. That could be excess catarrh, or a foreign body (however small). As we develop a cough after a cold of flu its out body’s way of getting rid of waste substances.
If we ignore a cough and don’t look after ourselves further complications can develop with chest problems.
Trying to stop the cough can also lead to further complications. By stopping the cough we can stopping the body from its natural process of elmination. This could lead to more complex symptoms which the body is struggle to deal with.
If you would like to know how homeopathy can help you get in touch. I am here to help.
Homeopathy. Helping you heal, naturally.
You can read more about the homeopathic treatment for coughs here.